BEPHC provides interdisciplinary undergraduate, graduate, or continuing education curriculum on Health Impact Assessment (HIA). This curriculum is flexible enough to be offered as a full semester course, individual units or single class modules or individual assignments. Additionally, this website provides professional training materials for conducting Health Impact Assessments.
Course HIA Reports
UC Berkeley Course HIA Report:
University of Washington Course HIA Reports:
HIA report findings and recommendations are presented in the last class to the project’s local decision-maker or stakeholder; written report is submitted to this decision-maker or stakeholder and is posted on the web.
- UW Spring 2011 HIA class project on King Street Multi-modal Hub for Seattle Department of Transportation
- UW Spring 2012 HIA class project on Duwamish River Superfund Cleanup Project
- UW Spring 2013 HIA class project on Tacoma South Downtown Subarea Plan
- UW Spring 2014 HIA class project on Pioneer Square
Texts for HIA Education
- Martin Birley. Health Impact Assessment: Principles and Practice. Earthscan, 2011.
- John Kemm, editor. Health Impact Assessment: Past Achievement, Current Understanding, and Future Progress. Oxford University Press, 2012.
- National Research Council of the National Academies. Improving health in the United States: the role of health impact assessment. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2011. Available free online.
- Monica O’Mullane, editor. Integrating Health Impact Assessment with the Policy Process: Lessons and Experiences from around the World. Oxford University Press. 2013.
- Catherine Ross, Marla Orenstein, Nisha Botchwey. Health Impact Assessments in the United States. Springer. 2014.
Articles for HIA Education
- Bhatia R, Coburn J. Lessons from San Francisco: Health impact assessments have advanced political conditions for improving population health. Health Affairs 2011;30(12):2410-18.
- Bhatia R, Seto E. Quantitative estimation in Health Impact Assessment: Opportunities and challenges. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 2010; 31(3):301-309.
- Bhatia R, Wernham A. Integrating human health into environmental impact assessment: An unrealized opportunity for environmental health and justice. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2008; 116(8):991-1000.
- Bond A, Pope J. The state of the art of impact assessment in 2012, Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, 20(1), 1-4, 2012. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14615517.2012.669140)
- Cole BL, Fielding JE. Health impact assessment: a tool to help policy makers understand health beyond health care. Annual Review of Public Health 2007; 28:393-412.
- Cole BL, Shimkhada R, Fielding J, et al. Methodologies for realizing the potential of health impact assessment. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2005; 28(4): 382–89.
- Collins J, Koplan JP. Health impact assessment: a step toward health in all policies. Journal of the American Medical Association 2009; 302(3):315-17.
- Dannenberg AL, Bhatia R, Cole BL, Heaton SK, Feldman JD, Rutt CD. Use of health impact assessment in the U.S.: 27 case studies, 1999-2007. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2008; 34(3): 241-256.
- de Nazelle A, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Antó JM, et al. Improving health through policies that promote active travel: a review of evidence to support integrated health impact assessment. Environment International. 2011; 37(4):766-777.
- Forsyth A, Slotterback CS, Krizek K. Health impact assessment (HIA) for planners: What tools are useful? Journal of Planning Literature. 2010; 24(3):231-245.
- Forsyth A, Slotterback CS, Krizek K. Health impact assessment in planning: Development of the Design for Health HIA tools. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 2010; 30(1): 42-51.
- Gase LN, Kuo T, Dunet D, Schmidt SM, Simon PA, Fielding JE. Estimating the potential health impact and costs of implementing a local policy for food procurement to reduce the consumption of sodium in the county of Los Angeles. American Journal of Public Health. 2011; 101(8):1501-1507.
- Gilhuly K, Purciel M, Farhang L, Lucky J, Harris EC, Heller J, Seto EYW. Using health impact assessment in community development to improve air quality and public health. Community Development. 2011; 42(2): 193–207.
- Gottlieb LK, Fielding JE, Braveman PA. Health impact assessment: Necessary but not sufficient for healthy public policy. Public Health Reports 2012;127: 156-62.
- Harris EC, Lindsay A, Heller JC, Gilhuly K, Williams M, Cox B, Rice J. Humboldt County General Plan Update Health Impact Assessment: A Case Study. Environmental Justice. 2009; 2(3): 127-134.
- Harris-Roxas B. Conceptual Framework for the Impact and Effectiveness of Health Impact Assessment, Centre for Health Equity, Training, Research and Evalution: Sydney, 2008: http://www.hiaconnect.edu.au/evaluating_hia.htm
- Hebert KA, Wendel AM, Kennedy SK, Dannenberg AL. Health impact assessment: a comparison of 45 local, national, and international guidelines. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 2012; 34:74-82.
- Hebert KA. Health impact assessments in North Carolina: promoting public health through informed decisions. North Carolina Medical Journal. 2012; 73(4):297-300.
- HIA Toolkit, pages 31-48, Chapters 3, 4 (Screening and Scoping) http://www.humanimpact.org/component/jdownloads/finish/11/81.
- Hoehner CM, Rios J, Garmendia C, Baldwin S, Kelly CM, Knights DM, Lesorogol C, McClendon GG, Tranel M. Page Avenue health impact assessment: building on diverse partnerships and evidence to promote a healthy community. Health and Place. 2012; 18(1):85-95.
- Human Impact Partners: Equity Metrics for Health Impact Assessment Practice, Version 1 http://www.hiasociety.org/documents/EquityMetrics_FINAL.pdf
- Improving Health in the United States: The role of health impact assessment. Report in Brief. National Academy of Sciences, 2011.
- Kearney M. Walking the walk? Community participation in HIA. A qualitative interview study. Environmental Impact Review 2004; 24:217-29.
- Krieger GR, Utzinger J, Winkler MS, Divall MJ, Phillips SD, Balge MZ, Singer BH. Barbarians at the gate: storming the Gothenburg consensus. Lancet. 2010 Jun 19; 375(9732):2129-2131.
- Kuo T, Jarosz CJ, Simon P, Fielding JE. Menu labeling as a potential strategy for combating the obesity epidemic: a health impact assessment. American Journal of Public Health. 2009; 99(9):1680-1686.
- Lhachimi SK, Nusselder WJ, Boshuizen HC, Mackenbach JP. Standard tool for quantification in health impact assessment: a review. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2010; 38(1):78-84.
- Maclennan CF, Ghosh TS, Juliusson L, Vogt RL, Boehmer TK. Derby district redevelopment in Colorado: case study on the health impact assessment process. Journal of Environmental Health. 2012; 75(1):8-13.
- Maire N, Winkler MS, Krieger GR, Divall MJ, Singer BH, Utzinger J. Health impact assessment of industrial development projects: a spatio-temporal visualization. Geospatial Health. 2012; 6(2):299-301.
- Mindell J, Biddulph J, Taylor L, Lock K, Boaz A, Joffe M, Curtis S. Improving the use of evidence in health impact assessment. Bull World Health Organ. 2010; 88(7): 543-550.
- National Research Council Committee on Health Impact Assessment. Improving Health in the United States: The Role of Health Impact Assessment. Washington DC: National Academies Press; 2011.
- Negev M, Levine H, Davidovitch N, Bhatia R, Mindell J. Integration of health and environment through health impact assessment: Cases from three continents. Environmental Research. 2012; 114:60-67.
- Parry, JM, Kemm JR. Criteria for use in the evaluation of health impact assessments. Public Health, 119, 1122-1129, 2005.
- Perdue LA, Michael YL, Harris C, Heller J, Livingston C, Rader M, Goff NM. Rapid health impact assessment of policies to reduce vehicle miles traveled in Oregon. Public Health. 2012 Jul 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Quigley RJ, Taylor LC. Evaluating health impact assessment. Public Health 2004; 118(8); 544-52.
- Rajotte BR, Ross CL, Ekechi CO, Cadet VN. Health in All Policies: addressing the legal and policy foundations of Health Impact Assessment. Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics. 2011; 39 Suppl 1:27-29.
- Richardson MJ, English P, Rudolph L. A health impact assessment of California’s proposed cap-and-trade regulations. American Journal of Public Health. 2012; 102(9):e52-e58.
- Ross CL, Leone de Nie K, Dannenberg AL, Beck LF, Marcus MJ, Barringer J. Health Impact Assessment of the Atlanta BeltLine. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2012; 42(3):203-213.
- Schuchter J, Bhatia R, Corburn J, Seto E. Health impact assessment in the United States: Has practice followed standards? Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 2014; 47:47-53.
- Seto EYW, Holt A, Rivard T, Bhatia R. Spatial distribution of traffic induced noise exposures in a US city: an analytic tool for assessing the health impacts of urban planning decisions. International Journal of Health Geographics. 2007; 6:24.
- Tamburrini A, Gilhuly K, Harris-Roxas B. Enhancing benefits in health impact assessment through stakeholder consultation. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal 2011; 29(3):195-204.
- Taylor L, Gowman N, Lethbridge J, Quigley R. Deciding if a health impact assessment is required (screening for HIA) Health Development Agency. 2003. http://www.hda.nhs.uk
- The State of Health Impact Assessment in Planning. July 2016. American Planning Association. https://www.planning.org/media/document/9107834/
- Wendel AM. Establishing the practice of health impact assessment in the United States. Journal of Environmental Health. 2012; 75(1):32-33.
- Wernham A. Health impact assessments are needed in decision making about environmental and land-use policy. Health Affairs 2011;30(5): 947-56.
- Wier M, Sciammas C, Seto E, Bhatia R, Rivard T. Health, traffic, and environmental justice: collaborative research and community action in San Francisco, California. American Journal of Public Health. 2009; 99 Suppl 3:S499-S504.
- Wier M, Weintraub J, Humphreys EH, Seto E, Bhatia R. An area-level model of vehicle-pedestrian injury collisions with implications for land use and transportation planning. Accident Analysis and Prevention. 2009; 41(1):137-145.
- Winkler MS, Krieger GR, Divall MJ, Cissé G, Wielga M, Singer BH, Tanner M, Utzinger J. Untapped potential of health impact assessment. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2013; 91(4):298-305.
- Witter RZ, McKenzie L, Stinson KE, Scott K, Newman LS, Adgate J. The use of health impact assessment for a community undergoing natural gas development. American Journal of Public Health. 2013 Apr 18.
Sample Syllabi for HIA
- Health Impact Assessment | Georgia Institute of Technology, School of City and Regional Planning | Nisha Botchwey
- Health in Appalachia | Berea College, Department of Physical Education and Health, Kentucky | Elizabeth Walker, Deborah Payne
- Health Impact Assessment | Indiana University, School of Medicine, Department of Public Health | Cynthia Stone, Marion S. Greene
- Health Impact Assessment | Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Maryland | Keshia M. Pollack
- Health Impact Assessment | University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health | Rajiv Bhatia, Edmund Seto, Jason Coburn
- Health Impact Assessment | University of California, Los Angeles, School of Public Health | Brian Cole
- Health Impact Assessments | University of Washington, School of Public Health | Andrew Dannenberg
- HIA of Global Environmental Change | University of Wisconsin, School of Medicine and Public Health, Population Health Sciences | Jonathan Patz
- Impact Assessment | Portland State University, College of Urban and Public Affairs | J. Strathman
Guides & Primers
- Health Scotland. Health impact assessment: a guide for local authorities. 2006
- Hebert KA, Wendel AM, Kennedy SK, Dannenberg AL. Health impact assessment: a comparison of 45 local, national, and international guidelines. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 2012; 34:74-82.
- Human Impact Partners. A health impact assessment toolkit: a handbook to conducting HIA. 2010.
- Institute of Public Health in Ireland. Health Impact Assessment Guidance. 2009.
- International Finance Corporation, World Bank. Introduction to Health Impact Assessment. 2009.
- International Health Impact Assessment Consortium, Liverpool, UK. The Merseyside guidelines for health impact assessment. 2001.
- International Health Impact Assessment Consortium, Liverpool, UK. European policy health impact assessment: a guide. 2004.
- North American HIA Practice Standards Working Group. Minimum elements and practice standards for health impact assessment (HIA). 2010.
- University of Minnesota, Design for Health. Rapid health impact assessment toolkit. 2008.
- University of California Los Angeles, School of Public Health. Training resources and UCLA HIA Training Manual.
- International Association for Impact Assessments. the leading global network on best practice in the use of impact assessment for informed decision making, providing several training manuals and reports.
- National Network of Public Health Institute’s HIA training materials
- All Articles About HIA by U.S. Authors. Compiled by Andrew Dannenberg. (Updated March 2015)